Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The Sunday Haul

Incidentally this is the 100th post under the ‘Book Junkie’ category on this blog. A hundred posts on books out of 222 posts which is a little less than half the posts is okay I guess for someone whose life revolves around books mostly. In the previous post I had forgotten to list out a few books my brother had sent me and I had also forgotten to include the four books I had picked up this Sunday at Abids. Two of these books were absolute treasures that I am glad I found.

The first book I picked up was an imprint of Writer’s Workshop, the haven for first time writers eager to see their works in print. It was ‘British Mylapore’ by VG Krishnamurti which was beautifully bound and printed on pure white paper. The last time I saw it last Sunday there were two copies but now only one was left and I picked it up. The quality of the book was good though I cannot tell the same about the contents inside. Only after I read it can I know about it. I got this book for twenty rupees only.

The second find of the day was an absolute treasure. It was Graham Greene’s ‘Collection of Essays’ that I got for sixty rupees. It seemed to have come from Penguin India’ own library for there was a round stamp saying so printed on many pages. Some of the pages seemed to have been dampened but it looks okay to me. It is a 350 plus pages book with nearly fifty essays on literature, writing and other issues. I am very glad I found this book.

Within seconds of finding Greene’s book I found yet another copy of Paul Theroux’s ‘The Great Railway Bazar’ that I got for only twenty rupees. This is the third copy of this I am picking up at Abids. Funnily enough, only last week I had sent my second copy to someone in Chennai who asked for it. But I have yet to read this highly praised book.

The final book was one on an entirely unexpected subject- carpentry! The book was Sunset publications’ ‘Basic Carpentry’ and it was in such a good condition I could not let it go for only twenty rupees. Besides it might be of help when I start thinking of getting book shelves done to keep all my books which are right now scattered all over the house.


One magazine I missed buying was something called ‘Singapore’ which had an article on fountain pens and I wonder now how I could let it go. If it is there next week then I am going to pick it up.

No comments: