Sunday, July 06, 2008

Crossing Another Milestone- 350 pages

Yesterday evening I crossed another milestone in my typing odyssey, having finished typing 350 pages. It was a big relief since now I have about fifty more pages left to finish a typed draft of my first book. I am looking forward to the day (maybe Friday) when I will finally type the last line and get done with it. I had actually planned to type at a leisurely pace of six pages a day and complete the typing by the end of this month. But I am going faster, propelled by a growing sense of impatience to get over this typing marathon that is going on since more than two months.

I am able to type more pages a day because my typing speed has improved. I am able to type three pages in an hour which is a major improvement from the one page per hour that was my speed when I began the typing. I have learnt a lot of lessons during the typing which I plan to write in another post. But the overall feeling is of a sense of accomplishment. It has also boosted my self-confidence that I am able to complete a task that I had given myself, on time. I have learnt to be disciplined and I hope it spills over to my other writings as well.

In keeping with my practice of rewarding myself for reaching certain goals I decided to buy myself a notebook yesterday. I had not bought a reward when I crossed 300 pages so I combined these two rewards and splurged 255 bucks on a leather binder by Scholar. It has the facility of adding or removing pages and also has several pockets for keeping cuttings etc. It appeared quite attractive and I bought it.

At the Odyssey bookstore while looking at the scores of books by new writers I wondered if my book would join that league. I was only dreaming of course because I have a long way to go before I am in a position to send the book to agents or publishers. I have still not started thinking of sending the query letters and proposals but I guess the time has come for me to do it. I have to sit and think about it one of these days because right now the only thing on my mind is 'how many pages am I going to type today?'

I hope to give the good news on Friday that I have completed the typing. After that I will take a fortnight's break and then start working on the novel again. It seems so far away yet so near. But the reward on finishing the typing that I am promising myself is Gabriel Garcia Marquez's 'Living to Tell the Tale' that I saw at Walden recently. I hope Askhara has this book because

No comments: