Saturday, July 05, 2008

A New Irani Hotel Opens


Finally, after coming across several accounts of famous and not-so-famous Irani restaurants folding up in Hyderabad, there's something to cheer about. A new Irani restaurant has actually been opened recently and it is somewhat of a surprise given the trend. And it isn't just a hole-in-the wall kind of an Irani restaurant but a full-fledged Irani restaurant complete with Biryani section and drive-in parking. The name is of course, just the sort one would expect an Irani hotel to be named after and it is- 'Great Bawarchi Restaurant.'


Sometime during the week I was returning after lunch with Hari when we spotted a new Irani hotel in Chirag Ali lane near the Cherma's complex and some famous hospital., Medwin maybe though I am not sure. We went past it in a blur so I couldn't really catch the name or take a proper look. But today when Raj dropped in and asked if there were any Irani joints around to have tea I remembered the new one. Luckily Lavish was full so we trekked all the way to Chirag Ali lane to the new Irani hotel that opened only on the fourteenth of last month I was told. It also looked newly opened because the garlands, though dried up, still hung on the walls outside.


We had tea, and I noticed the place was crowded though it was not even a month since it opened. The biryani parcel section was really busy with lots of people waiting for the parcels. The upper storey seemed to be the food section while the ground floor, where we sat, was the tea section. The tea, of course, tasted like regular Irani tea and was as good as any found in the better types of Irani hotels. I had particular reason to be happy about Great Bawarchi because it is within reach of my office and is the fourth or fifth Irani joint that is within walking distance for me. So I have a real choice of where to have my Irani tea every day.

But I wonder if it has got anything to do with the original 'Bawarchi' at RTC X Roads that has boards saying they have no branches in the city.

No comments: