Monday, July 07, 2008

My Filmy Connection

All of a sudden two film related events popped into my life last week. One was that I was getting a chance to meet a young and famous director of Telugu movies and the other was the advertisement I saw somewhere yesterday about a weeklong 'Film Appreciation Course' at Bangalore next month. I had been for years trying to do this course because I want to know something more about films and film making though I don't watch many movies. I am wondering if I can make it to the course this year because it is in Bangalore and not at Pune which was where it is usually conducted at the FTII campus.



Sometime back, three or four years ago, I along with Hari wrote stories for a couple of episodes for a popular Telugu weekly humor show- 'Amrutham' that was telecast on Sunday night on Gemini TV. Nowadays it seems to have become a daily serial on a different channel. We had a lot of fun doing those few episodes apart from earning a few thousand rupees. The serial was the brainchild of Gunnam Ganga Raju who produced several popular films, the latest being 'Anukokunda Oka Roju' and 'Amma Cheppindi' in Telugu. So it was the nearest I ever came to meet a film personality though I would have loved to meet an actress.



But this week I will be meeting Indraganti Mohana Krishna, director of the award winning film in Telugu, 'Grahanam' and the more recent 'Maya Bazar' starring Bhumika. I had once dreamt of writing scripts and still do so it will be a wonderful chance to learn more about films from him. His new film 'Ashta Chemma' is ready for release in the next few weeks. The interesting thing about it is that it is produced by Hari's brother Rammohan, an IIM alumni. Watch this space for the post about the meeting with Indraganti. I have to watch his movies before I meet him so I can ask him some intelligent sounding questions

No comments: