Monday, December 10, 2007

Finding Two Good Books on Friday


It is surprising how some of our decisions taken on a whim sometimes turn out to be quite profitable in the end. One such decision I had taken on Friday afternoon netted me two good books I would have given my right arm for, literally.

I had walked down from my office to Bombay Bakery and Confectionary at Gunfoundry for my afternoon tea. After finishing the tea, I decided on a whim to pay a visit to the MR Bookstore, a few yards away. I almost jumped with joy when my eyes landed on a book whose title read: BOOK FINDS by Ian C. Ellis- How to Find, Buy, and Sell Used and Rare Books. It was something I had been unconsciously seeking out all these years. Though I have been collecting books for almost two decades I have never seriously thought about what I am collecting and how valuable (or useless) the books were. This book promises to be a treasure house of information with a lot of valuable tips and advice on book collecting.

I found the second book just when I was paying for Book Finds. The book was The Best Writing on Writing edited by Jack Heffron. It is a collection of essays, articles etc on writing published in various newspapers, magazines etc in the year 1993. It has twenty-seven writers writing about writing poetry, fiction, scriptwriting and such stuff about writing. Again, after books, writing was one subject I was crazy about and needless to say, I picked up this book too. Both the books were in excellent condition and I got them for a hundred and eighty rupees. Not a bad bargain.

I was terribly happy about finding these two books. I wish I could have pictures on this blog. I will try to put pictures on my blog next year.

No comments: