Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A Surprise Find

When I stepped out for a walk on Monday evening I hadn't a clue that I'd be returning with three good books tucked under my arms. I set out with the intention of taking a short walk but the short walk got extended and I ended up at the bookstore adjacent to Sangeet theatre. I wanted to just look but I found three books I couldn't resist buying.
The first book I found was 'Our Private Lives' by Daniel Halpern. It is a collection of journals, notebooks and diaries of famous writers like Joyce Carol Oates, Annie Dillard, Oliver Sacks and thirty eight other writers and poets. This is what the blurb at the back says- 'Witty, eloquent, sardonic or pleasantly mundane, these forty selections give us writerly sensibility at its purest, freshest and least constrained."
The second book was also on writing. It was "How to Enjoy Writing" by Janet and Isaac Asimov. I cannot resist buying books on writing and this book is described as 'A Book of Aid and Comfort', things I am looking for while I hammer away at my novel which doesn't seem to end soon.
The third book of the day was a second copy of Julia Cameron's 'The Artist's Way', which I had found at the Book Fair last week. I picked up this second copy to give away. I paid two hundred bucks for these three books. I hope not to pick up any more books this week because my tally of books is nearing 210 and my book shelves are packed. I don't have space to store any more books in my room.

No comments: