Saturday, December 22, 2007

Five Rupee Books

In the previous post I had written about the books I bought for ten rupees in Hyderabad during my Sunday visits to Abids. There were some books I got for as low as five rupees. Now, five rupees will buy you just a cup of Irani tea and one chota samosa in any Irani in Hyderabad, but for the same amount I bought a few books that would probably stay with me for life. Here is the list of books I picked up for only five rupees at Abids.

1. Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller (Rs 5)
2. Something I’ve Been Meaning to Tell You by Alice Munro (Rs.5)
3. A Rose for Winter by Laurie Lee (Rs.5)
4. The Still Storm by Francois Sagan (Rs.5)
5. Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen (Rs 5)
6. God’s Pocket by Pete Dexter (Rs. 5)

‘Out of Africa’ by Isak Dinesen is more than five hundred pages long and Alice Munro’s ‘Something I’ve Been Meaning to Tell You’ has more than a dozen short stories. It is incredible that in Hyderabad one finds such good books for so little. This is one thing about Hyderabad I feel happy about

No comments: