Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Sunday Find of Books

I was feeling a bit under the weather on Sunday so I skipped going to Abids in the morning. On Saturday evening I had been to the Book Fair with a friend and there I saw a book by Julia Cameron in a second-hand book stall. I was short of money to pay the steep price so I asked the guy to keep it aside for me. I had this book to check today so I decided to go to Abids first, and then drop in at the Book Fair in the afternoon. I slept all morning after breakfast and left for Abids after lunch.

At Abids, I got lucky again as I found yet another copy of Stephen King’s ‘On Writing’. I got it for twenty rupees. This is the third copy I have and am thinking of giving it to a friend who wanted to read it. Next, I found Russell Baker’s ‘The Good Times’. I have his other book- ‘Growing Up’, which is a memoir of his childhood and this book won the Pulitzer Prize. ‘The Good Times’ seems to be a sequel to ‘Growing Up’. I haven’t yet read ‘Growing Up’ but I plan to read these two books sometime in January next.

Next, I saw Joyce Maynard’s ‘At Home in the World’, a hardcover copy of her memoirs I could have got for twenty rupees. I didn’t pick the book up but later when I saw the reviews on Amazon I wished I had picked it up. I hope I find it next week. I hadn’t judged the value of the book properly. I hurried to the Book Fair after finding ‘The Good Times’ at Abids.

The Julia Cameron book turned out to be the one I was looking for- The Artist’s Way. I had read a lot about it and almost everyone seemed to be recommending it. I was thrilled to get another good book at the fag end of the year. I got it at a steep price though since the bookstore guy saw the gleam in my eyes when I looked at the title and wouldn’t lower the price.

I had found Julia Cameron’s ‘The Right to Write’, earlier in the year at a bookstore. It is a good book about getting inspired to write. With these three books I found on Sunday the score of books I found this year is now 204.

No comments: