Tuesday, December 04, 2007

This Month's "Literary Review' in The Hindu

On Sundays, like most of us, even the newspaper delivery guys seem to sleep late. I get the paper usually by seven in the morning but this Sunday even though it was eight in the morning there was no sign of the paper. It was the first Sunday of the month and I was anxious to lay my hands on The Hindu which carries ‘The Literary Supplement’. At last, a few minutes after eight I got the paper and eagerly opened the ‘Literary Review’ right away without even glancing at the main paper.

On the front page of this month’s “Literary Review’ was a feature on the most interesting books famous authors and others had read during 2007. Shashi Deshpande had picked Joan Didion’s ‘The Year of Magical Thinking’ and I agreed with her choice though I have not read the book. I was at Akshara, Madhapur the other day and had flipped through this book and read the opening paragraph. I was so absorbed in the first page in which Didion arrestingly describes the death of her husband. It was a powerful beginning. I plan to buy this book soon.

I envy Pradeep Sebastian who writes the ‘Endpaper’ column in this supplement for he gets to travel all over the world to browse through bookstores. This month he writes about ‘Between The Covers’, an online book site for the serious book collector. He describes it as the best online rare bookstore- book website on the internet. At the end of the column he writes about a BTC’s tip on book collecting – ‘collect what you love, buy the very best condition you can afford, and if you’re on the fence about a book it’s better to purchase it than not, as you’ll always regret the ones that got away’. That gives me an idea for a post about the ones that got away this year, at Abids.

No comments: