Monday, December 17, 2007

My Best Finds of 2007- I

This year, so far, I have bought around two hundred books. This total includes some magazines as well. I have listed some of the best books I had picked up at Abids, at the second hand book stores in Hyderabad as well as some new books I bought in the regular book stores. I haven't read all the books I have picked up except those on writing and books by Dave Barry whose books I cannot resist reading immediately. Some of these books are second or third copies of books I already possess. This post is in two parts and this is Part I

JANUARY

-The Weekend Novelist by Robert J. Ray
-On Becoming a Novelist by John Gardner

FEBRUARY

-Dave Barry Talks Back by Dave Barry
-Magazine Writing- The Inside Angle by Art Spikol
-The Lobster Chronicles by Linda Greenlaw

MARCH

-Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes
-Free/Style Writing by Chris Anderson
-The Moons of Jupiter by Alice Munro
-La Brava by Elmore Leonard
-Elvis is Dead and I am Not Feeling So Good Myself by Lewis Grizzard
-The Men Within by Harimohan Paruvu

APRIL
-Rum Punch by Elmore Leonard

-Travels by Michael Crichton
-The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux
-Random House Guide to Good Writing
-Anatomy of an Illness by Norman Cousins
-On Writing by Stephen King
-Something I’ve Been Meaning to Tell You by Alice Munro
-The French Lieutenant’s Woman by John Fowles

MAY
-Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig

-Riding the Iron Rooster by Paul Theroux
-Dave Barry Does Japan by Dave Barry
-Hell’s Angels by Hunter S. Thompson
-Riding the Rap by Elmore Leonard
-Healing Heart by Norman Cousins

JUNE
-Letters to Alice by Fay Weldon
-The Age of Grief by Jane Smiley
-Out of Sight by Elmore Leonard
-Gold Coast by Elmore Leonard
-The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger
-Darkness Visible by William Styron
-Right to Write by Julia Cameron

JULY
-A Rose for Winter by Laurie Lee
-Cuba Libre by Elmore Leonard
-The Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
-Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen
-The Goddess and Other Women by Joyce Carol Oates
-Dave Barry is Not Making This Up by Dave Barry
-The Art of Writing by Grenville Kleiser
-Acquired Tastes by Peter Mayle

No comments: